Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Three Junes


Three Junes by Julia Glass is a three-part novel following a Scottish family during the summers of 1989, 1995 & 1999 (hence the title). Part one introduces us to Paul McLeod, the father of the family, soon after the death of his wife. He has escaped to Greece, to journey anonymously with an eclectic party of travelors. Six years later, Paul's death reunites his three sons and their families at Tealing, the family home. Fenno, the oldest and the focus of part two, is a slightly repressed gay man who owns a book shop in New York city. Fenno is never quite comfortable in any of his relationships -- with his good friend who is dying of AIDS, with the photographer who breaks his heart, or especially, with his family. Part three brings the story full circle with a friendship that develops between Fenno and Fern, a young girl who intrigued Paul years before in Greece. Pregnant with a son, Fern, like Fenno and Paul, must make peace with her past in order to enjoy her future.
It's ten-thirty now: almost but not quite dark, the generosity of the late June sun in Scotland something I always forget till I feel it directly again on my smog-soaked hide. The sun seems to pause, languorously, not hustle down as it does most everywhere I've been in the States and farther south. At this hour in this season, it seems to imply that we northerners deserve its presence more, that our company is the most enjoyable on earth.
I picked this book up for a quarter at a bazaar put on at a local Christian college. It is definitely not one I would normally choose to spend time with, yet as I got started, I felt drawn to continue. I have to admit, I am very hesitant to even review it here, as the subject matter would obviously be offensive to some. So, that is where I begin my review -- this book might offend, based on the gay relationships depicted. This book is beautifully written. The author expresses the joy and pain of relationships of all kinds. Her characters are well-developed, becoming well-known friends to the reader.

Rating: ****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home