Monday, April 10, 2006

Beth Moore: Living Beyond Yourself

I am woefully behind on my review posts! I sent an email to an acquaintance a while back regarding the Beth Moore Living Beyond Yourself Bible study series, so I thought I'd post part of that note to get me back in the swing of things!
I have hesitated to speak up about this series because I'm afraid I could get in trouble for not raving! Isn't it heresy to not adore all things Beth Moore?? What I loved about the study was her videos. She is an amazing orator - gifted in incredible ways to connect with her audience and preach the Word!! I had a harder time connecting with the workbook study. There was something about the format that had me primarily concerned about filling in the blanks--kind of like a school assignment (ack!). I know one other person felt similarly. I also had concerns with how Beth tends to take Scripture out of context to fit with her study material (I'm really pushing it now, I know!). The days that we stuck with the suggested questions for our group discussion, it felt a bit stale; it was those days that we went on our own discussions - what was important to us that week? what Scripture spoke to us? - that the conversation was really encouraging.

Hope these thoughts do not sound negative or discouraging. Overall, I really enjoyed the study; I would do it again. I freed myself the last several weeks to not worry about the workbook and just engage in the group discussion and video. That worked well for me - once I got past the obligatory guilt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home