Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Movie Reviews

I saw three movies over this Memorial Day weekend, and unfortunately, not one of them was a war movie, to align with the tradition my husband and I usually try to partake in during this particular holiday!

I just got around to watching the Pride & Prejudice dvd that I got for my birthday. I'm surprised I didn't see it when it first came out - Sense & Sensibility is one of my personal classics. The first time I watched it I had the kids in the room, which meant I only picked up on about every third sentence of dialogue. But Trinity and I enjoyed the dancing scenes and reenacted them with fervor. I got to watch it again in the middle of the night (sciatic nerve issues), but I kept dozing, so I got to see about every other scene that time. From what I've gathered, it was pretty good! My biggest feedback is that if you have seen S & S or Little Women or most of that genre, you have seen P & P. Stoic oldest sister, rowdy second sister, lots of other sisters, affectionate dad. I've heard lots of fussing about how some of the dialogue is not true to Jane's original message, and there is the debatable kiss at the end, but that didn't bother me. I know some of my friends would be incredulous to learn this, but like the movie, somehow I missed reading this novel. I may need to rectify that.

I also watched the dvd for Walk the Line, the Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash love story. As my husband said when he gave it to me, this is required for all Cash home libraries. Johnny and I are fourteenth cousins (seriously!), descending from William the Mariner, the first Cash to live in American in the mid-1600s. Not really relevant to a movie review, but a little fun fact I'm sure you needed to know! I thought it was a very well made movie - not as ugly as I had thought it might be. Joaquin Phoenix, although he didn't sound like Johnny when he sang, did a great job. Reese Witherspoon was amazing! I have always liked her, but her singing and acting abilities shone in a new way in this film.

In a strange alignment of the stars, Allan and I actually got to enjoy a theater experience! Well, kind of. We were on the very front row - a rather nauseating experience actually - for X-Men: The Last Stand. I liked the other two X-Men and this one stood right up with those. The great thing with the X-Men series is that they can kill off (maybe temporarily) main characters and keep things fresh by bringing in new and cool mutants. There were some good surprises along the way. Jean's character bugged me - she stood around the entire movie looking oh-so-domineering, even during most of the big fight scenes. I had heard this was the last one, but they definitely left that door wide open at the end.

So, although none of these movies is life-changing in its spectacularity (I think I just made up a word), I liked them all and would recommend each in their own way. Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

I just saw X3 too! I agree with your comments, particularly re: Jean Gray. What with the red dress, the scowl, and the floating around, I found it hard to keep from humming the theme for the Wicked Witch of the West.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I totally agree about Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line, I too, have always liked her and in this she is awesome.

6:42 PM  
Blogger brenda said...

I just recently saw p&p I liked it a lot. I have a book suggestion, not that you are going to get around to reading anytime soon. I am currently reading Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler about a woman who basically wakes up one morning and wonders who she has turned into. It is very interesting, but i like Anne Tyler, she's great.

3:53 PM  
Blogger laura said...

emily wallace's sister here. for all pride and prejudice lovers, which i am one of the hugest, the bbc version, although it be 6 hours long, takes the cake and is far and away better. the recent version loses so much of the story line as it had to cut so much to stay in its under 2 hour mark. so invest the time and you won't be disappointed in colin firth, who could be disappointed with that man? :)

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home